Important Michael Guen Updates from Jula Pereira, the Creator of Cult Rescue
My name is Jula Pereira and I am the creator of this Cult Rescue website. I originally created this website along with my partner Joerg Hilger to speak out against the manipulation and abuse I experienced from Michael Guen over the course of ten years.
My goal in creating this website was to educate the public about Guen’s motivations and prevent other people from being recruited into his group.
I originally wrote on this website under the pseudonym “Ruth” in order to protect my identity. My partner Joerg wrote his posts under the name “Karl.” However, it is important for me to now come forward with my real name and speak out openly and update you on several important events which have occurred in the past four years.
Guen has been discrediting my story online and has sought to distort the facts which have happened in regards to several important events. I would like to use this blog post to write about some key events.
- In 2013, I filed an Acupuncture Board complaint against Guen and his sexual misconduct towards me as his acupuncture patient. From 2014 to 2016, the Acupuncture Board conducted an investigation into my complaint against Guen.
- In February 2016, I gave a testimony under oath to the Acupuncture Board and was cross-examined by Michael Guen’s Lawyer Collin Cooper. Michael Guen refused to give a testimony and took the fifth. Here is the complete and official transcript of my testimony documented by a court reporter. The initials you will see as “J.P.” directly refer to my name Jula Pereira:
Acupuncture Board Testimony 02-29-2016
- After I testified at a hearing in Oakland California in 2016, Judge Regina Brown found that the standard of proof applied in this proceeding is clear and convincing evidence to a reasonable certainty. She made a decision for a stayed revocation with a 5-year term of probation.
- As a result of the decision by Judge Brown, Guen was suspended from the practice of acupuncture for 30 days beginning with the effective date of the decision.
- Guen was required to do a psychological examination within 90 days of the effective decision by a Board appointed California licensed psychologist and was required to submit the name of an acupuncturist who would monitor his practice and write regular reports.
- Guen was also required to not treat female patients without the presence of another person. He would need to notify all current and prospective female patients of this restriction. In addition, he was required to complete 20-semester units of coursework on ethics, obey all laws and submit quarterly declarations stating whether he was completing the probation requirements. Guen was also required to comply with the Board’s probation surveillance program.
- Upon successful completion of the probation, the acupuncture license would have been restored. Instead, Guen failed to complete the psychological examination appointment which resulted in a violation of his probation. The Petition to Revoke Michael Guen’s Probation in 2017 document shows that his acupuncture license was completely revoked.
- Here are the official documents in regards to the Acupuncture Board’s decisions:
- Judge order of decision 2016 against Michael Guen (Patient P refers to myself, Jula Pereira)
- Petition to Revoke Michael Guen’s Probation 2017
- Default Decision and Order to revoke the License of Michael Guen in 2017
- In 2015, I filed a civil lawsuit against Michael Guen for fraud, undue influence, sexual abuse, and manipulation. The case is scheduled to go to trial on March 22, 2019 in the Superior Court of Sonoma County. Michael Guen did not show up for the requested deposition to testify under oath.
- In 2016 Michael Guen and Patricia Bernard filed a defamation lawsuit against my partner Joerg Hilger and myself due to the content of this website. On April 20, 2017, Judge Ottenweller made a decision that this website is protected activity and our publications on this website are protected under the first amendment of the United State’s constitution.
- Guen and Bernard failed to show that there was “an existing business or economic relationship between plaintiff and a third party, reasonably certain to produce economic benefits” and that Joerg and I knowingly interfered with it. The complaint was dismissed with prejudice. Here is the official document issued from Judge Ottenweller from the Sonoma County Superior Court: Order Granting Motion and Dismissing Complaint
- Michael Guen and Patricia Bernard tried to appeal the decision of the court but lost. Here is the appeal decision of the Sonoma County Superior Court: November 16 2018 Court of Appeal Decision
I believe that it is important for me to cover the facts in regards to the events above for the sake of the public’s interest in knowing the truth about Guen.